Friday, August 24, 2012

MOPS AND MAYHEM


GOOD EVENING EVERYONE TONIGHT I THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE WITH YOU ONE OF MY MANY  LITERARY ADVENTURES, HERE IS CHAPTER ONE OF; 
MOPS AND MAYHEM.
All chapters, characters and storyline copyrighted by pug's story corner.
PLEASE ENJOY, COMMENTS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

I walked from my apartment into the brisk night; I looked up to see a full moon peek from behind the high, silent flats that kept their unseeing eyes trained on my small, cosy building.  I checked my watch; 10 minutes to 9, ten minutes before kick-off, the pub was always busy on a full moon, I needed sugar before my shift and hopefully to get the low down from Ginny, who I dropped off earlier to arrange the parties coming in tonight.

I walked hurriedly down the streets as rain began to slowly beat down around me, causing false tears to cast tracks down my checks. It was the height of July; I should have been wearing tank tops and shorts to work not long knitted jumpers and waterproof coats, British weather really sucked.
The music floated softly into the night as I pushed open the large oak doors and walked over to the bar, where Ginny sat on top of the blood red, marble counter surrounded by pieces of paper, her black fur glowing like Onyx under the hot spotlights of the bar.
“Hey, Donkey what’s it looking like tonight?” I asked, stripping my rain soaked coat off and grabbing a glass hanging from the gnarled beam above the bar, filling it promptly with thick black liquid.
Ginny glanced up from the scatted papers, her huge brown oval eyes twinkling with a hint of annoyance.
“The wolves have a party at 10 over by the Thor statue; I’ve told Gavin if I caught one of his groups peeing on the furniture again, I’ll bite his ankles so hard he won’t be walking for a week, then we got the tinklebell’s in at half past and a few couples after that, and DON’T CALL ME DONKEY” she grumbled, her wheezy voice echoing in the empty building.
 I chuckled quietly while refilling my glass with Pepsi, imaging Gavin face when confronted with a 14 pound ankle sized dog barking threats at him and his pack.  Ginny was a youthful eight year old chunky pug with thick rolls of glossy black fur, we had found each other three years ago and had been inseparable since.
 I think what bound us together the most was that we were both misfits in our little group, Ginny was an outspoken, not a very obedient familiar, that had a unique talent for not only being able to communicate with me, her now adopted witch, but everyone else around her, this made for some very interesting situations, like the one we always had on a full moon with the south block pack and their over territorial males, and hence my loving nickname of Donkey as she always reminded me of that very chatty character out of Shrek.
Her talent for being an unchained being meant that the witch that had brought her sprit over from the far side had dumped her the moment she realized she couldn’t control her, leaving her to fend for herself out on rose cross avenue, the place where all magic being of both good and bad background come to make their home and where I currently resided against many of my surrounding neighbours wishes. 

The old grandfather clock chimed loudly, startling me into action as I washed my glass quickly and slipped my  Blood Lilly work shirt over my slim torso, the slogan, where passions run’s wild’  written in silver glitter twinkled against the sold black material.

I pasted a bright smile on my face as the twins, Mark and Lucas, came sauntering in just in the nick of time, the twins wore their work top stretched tight across their bodies to display their naturally muscular forms and to show off their ink black bristled fur that stood out from their bodies like tiny deadly darts, their eyes a little too small for the human face glistened with humour, as they grabbed their bodyguard badges and both winked at Ginny and excessively twitched their fine, ebony long whiskers  in greeting to me before swiftly taken their places just outside the front door.

 Mark and Lucas came from a long line of Male only Dobhar-chu, an otter, dog hybrid creature that had eventual, like many of us, evolved a more human structure within its originally DNA, Dobhar-chu originated from Scotland, they were shaped with a humanoid outline, normally with an overly muscular body tone, they had hard spiked fur replacing where soft skin should be, their humanoid faces were modelled around small pip like black orbs for eyes and long, fine ebony whiskers which they twitched when extremely excited or angry, their full human mouth hid rows of knife sharp teeth and speech that was growled and barked.  Although I had worked at Blood Lilly for many years and half of them with the twins I still found there speech difficult to understand, usually needing Ginny to translate, so I was glad their job usually kept them outside intimidating and attracting the crowd with their rare and unusual look.

I braced myself as the first wave of tourists and other-siders flooded the front bar and all barked, shouted and lisped over each other for mine and Ginny’s attention, we swiftly served the first row while politely engaging in several chit chat conversations, ‘isn’t the moon nice tonight, I can’t wait to get to cliff park later!’ what are the bodyguards other-sider breed? ‘What blood do you have on tab?’  
I felt my head throbbing from all the noise and took a sneaky drink of Pepsi, feeling the sweet sugar dulling the ache as the 6th wave of customers fanned out to find tables, from the corner of my eye I glace Gavin coming, I promptly turned back round and waved at him,  he smiled quickly to me as him and his group where lead over to their reserved table by a fairy waitress who wings glowed a warming orange and her long curly hair fluttered in a unseen breeze, I was hoping to catch Gavin later once the crowds had thinned I needed his  advice on a mysterious letter that had landed on my door mat at the beginning of the week.
As I turn back to the bar I was greeted with the strong whiff of whiskey and a pair of unfocused glaring eyes, my stomach twisted in knots as unease settled around me, I took a deep calming breath and plastered a teeth baring smile on my face.
“What can I get you?” I asked politely, watching the man grip unsteadily to the bar, he spoke of old money with his deep tan that whispered of many vacations on exotic lands and his neatly pressed jade pin stripe suite that I was sure was on a rich weekly magazine somewhere.
He glaring eyes roamed lazily across the top of my body causing me to shiver involuntarily,
“How much for a tumble darling, I hear you Monsters will do anything” he chuckled, reaching shakily over the bar, I step back quickly, seeing red tint my vision, I hated being called a Monster the slang version for anything un-human in origin and for being called anything more than a whore because I was different made my already short temper snap. 

Before I knew it I had thrown aside my gloves, my thin fingers had stretched out across the bar’s smooth surface and brushed lightly against the fingertips of a nearby vampire who was quietly watching the big screen TV, his tinted sunglasses flashing different colours as the light from the TV hit them.
My version plummeted into darkness with flecks of bright flame orange silhouettes rising from it depth, blurring as they moved, I felt my jaw ache and tasted cherry sweetness on my tongue. I knew instantly I had grown long ivory white fangs that hung slightly over my lower lip and that the cherry sweetness was my own A+ blood that I tasted from where the fangs had pushed through. I widened my eyes so the man could look into the endless darkness of my pupils and pushed myself as close as I could to him, I could feel his hot breath on my face and knew instantly he would taste smooth and with a deep richness all O blood types carried in their veins.
I bared my fangs and hissed long and loud, I felt him shake and withdraw although with my blacked out sight all I saw was a smudging of orange as if water has been poured over paint.
“Get out!” I lisped, finding my speech clumsy and hard around the long canines, I watched as an unsteady orange ball retreated until it completely disappeared behind two dark square outlines that I presumed where the pub doors. I sighed and lent back against the wall, the orange glow of everyone was starting to give me a headache how vampires dealt with this heat vision for the rest of their life I hadn’t a clue.
“You’re going to regret that” A voice to the right of me grumbled, I glance over watching as a blood red glow sat on the counter-top. It was odd to see Ginny’s signature, unlike many that floated about hers was a strong red instead of the bright orange of everyone else, I wondered if that had anything to do with the magic instilled in her when she was brought over from another dimension, although which I wasn’t sure as she refused to tell me, no matter how many times I had asked.
I pondered all this quietly before answering, she was right, I had problem with borrowing other peoples forms.  

 My magic was tricky at the of best times and a right pain in the arse at it worse, I could touch anyone and take on their forms such as fangs for a vampire, the wolf’s skin as a werewolf but I sometimes couldn’t get rid of it, like my ever present wings. I must have when I was younger, touched some type of fairy; although I have no recollection of the event but I knew the ridged bones that protrude out of my back were not part of my natural state. The wings themself were thin and glossy like dragonflies all blue veins and fragile looking but mine didn’t just look weak they were weak, rotting a bit everyday due to my body’s incapability to feed them the natural hormones they needed for the cells to live, because of this every so often they would fall away dead leaving nothing but bleached white stumps of jagged bone jutting out of my pale skin. It had been like that for as long as I could remember, nothing I did either got rid of them completely or strengthened them so they were more than just a trimming.
I was quickly hustled clumsily into the staff room by Ginny who promptly sat me down on one of the  hard back chairs, I glanced around, darkness with small fuzzy patches of grey greeted me, I hoped my symptoms wore off soon as I couldn’t begin to imagine living in a world full of darkness and silhouettes made of flames. Vampire eyes reminded me of snakes as their version was geared to seeking out heat signatures of prey and nothing else, this made the rumours and fairy tales of old right about one thing, vampires couldn’t come out in day light due to the fact that the shear brightness rendered them blind, condemning them to the darkness of night, even clear nights with the moon hanging like a shining pearl in the sky caused most of them to shield away and hiss in pain.

Something cold was pushed into my hand and I was pulled out of my depressing thoughts,
“Drink” Ginny commanded before wondering off again, properly to take my place at the bar. It was a stupid thing to do but it was too late to cry about spilt milk now.
I gulped the mixture down, it was bitter and warm on my tongue, my stomach rolled as the potion tried to work its magic, as tears slid down my cheeks the world began to slowly bleed colour back into my surrounds, something wet and warm caressed my chin and glided down my throat, I pushed my tongue up against my teeth to find the long thin incisors missing replaced by my normal yet now sore teeth.
I signed in relief a vampire life wasn’t something I wanted to live, they were blind for the most part and needed constant fresh red and white blood cells from living donors to keep their human form functioning, unlike fairy tales of old vampires were not monsters of the night merely a sub species of human that had a blood disorder, in the years that have passed since the 2000’s science have wiped away myths and folklore and instead replaced it with words like disorders and sub species, we were nothing but interesting creatures that had developed as an off shoot due to the climate change of earth, although the best scientists were yet to understand the other side, where some of our more volatile species came from. 

I opened my eyes as Ginny softly padded into the room, her expression was one of her level 4 frowns, she wasn’t pissed off but definitely annoyed, I smiled shakily.
“Thanks for that, what was in that fowl stuff?” I asked hoarsely, passing her the cup back.
“Just herbs to promote red blood production, I thought if I flooded your system it would overthrow the change, luckily I was right” she grumbled through a mouth full of ceramic.
I watched as she trotted off into the kitchen, I slowly stood up and made my way back to the bar to face another wave of excited customers all looking for a fun time in the most unusual bar in town, I plastered a big smile on my face and went to war, were martinis and strong bows were my grenades.

PLEASE COME BACK SOON FOR CHAPTER 2
GINNY
XX
 



No comments:

Post a Comment